Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My "Go to" Speech Lesson Plans


May is better speech, language, and hearing month, so I decided to dedicate a lesson plan for each of these areas over the next few weeks. This week, the topic is speech or articulation of sounds. Right now, I am servicing a handful of pre-k clients who are targeting a variety of sounds and I service middle school students working on carryover of their sound targets. Planning for the preschool lesson is quick and easy! I print out several seasonal activities from both www.makinglearningfun.com/ and www.dltk-kids.com/ websites. I especially like worksheets with bingo daubers because I can encourage students to dot a circle with a bingo marker after practicing a sound target in isolation and/or words. The pre-k kids have been very reinforced by these arts and crafts activities and they love taking these treasures home with them!

With regards to my middle school students, several of them are working on /r/ targets, so I frequently use the, Entire World of R Instructional Workbook- A Phonemic Approach to /r/ Remediation by Christine Ristuccia. I have had great success with this program that begins with an assessment and follows with a progressive instructional game plan. The best part about this series is that it gives visuals of what your mouth should look like while making various /r/ controlled vowels. If you have not used this book yet, and you have students needing to target /r/, then get this manual!

No comments:

Post a Comment