Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond Treasury- Hands on Literacy


What's better than speech and language lessons on cookies, muffins, and pancakes?  Thanks to Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond, we can have a whole month's worth of lesson plans about these tasty treats and you don't have to be a good cook to enjoy these units!  Once again, the dollar store did not disappoint as I found both the muffin pan and pizza cookie sheet shown above.  The Oreo cookie match up was something I scored on eBay a few years ago.  I typically use these shape matching cookies with my 3-4 year old population.  We have played games where I hand out one side and kids take turns feeling around in the bucket for the matching piece.  Another option is to use the cookies like memory cards by placing them all face down and taking turns to find matches.  Both the sequence and muffin pictures shown above can be found at this website:   http://www.homeschoolshare.com/IfYouGiveaMoose.php 

I did edit some of the muffins in order to create six different groups for sorting into the muffin tin.  The blogger also suggested laying the sequence out in the form of a circle so you can discuss how the moose ends right where he began.  I have been a little magnet happy, so I thought the pizza sheet was a great way to make this manipulative portable and fun for clients.

If you follow my Pinterest Literacy Button, you will find even more activities for all my book units.  There are so many great ideas out there for these units from game boards to "WH" cookie questions!  I especially like using pancake spatulas in a variety of articulation lessons.  The possibilities for creativity and fun are just endless!