Just recently, I polled my colleagues on Facebook and searched my Pinterest boards to create a list of books for preschoolers that target /s/ blends. Much to my surprise, I had several of the books that I needed on hand. I only needed to order three of the seven books to complete my /s/ blend library. Here is the criteria that I used for my collection:
- Short readings with no more than 2-3 sentences per page/picture
- Repetition of early /s/ blend targets (i.e., stop, small)
- Appropriate for children aged 4-6 years old
- One book for each /s/ blend target
- No more than two /s/ blend targets per book to meet cycles approach
- Seasonally appropriate books (I am a theme girl)
Now that I have my books on hand, I can use each in my session with my clients working on improving both listening and expression of /s/ blends. Since the books are mine to keep, I wrote the /s/ blend target in permanent marker on the cover and I used a highlighter to mark the /s/ blend words in the books. You can likely find any of these books at your local bookstore, library sales, or Amazon. Maybe you have some already in your materials collection!! I will close this post with a photo gallery of my Fall and Winter books. Next Spring, I hope to compile my warmer weather collection.