Thursday, October 13, 2016

Targeting /s/ blends through Literacy activities

Like most of my slp peeps, I am a planner!  I have theme-based lessons and materials that I have treasured over the years, so prepping for my private sessions is fairly easy.  Every once in a while though, I decide to gather some new materials to target common articulation, phonological, and/or language delays.

Just recently, I polled my colleagues on Facebook and searched my Pinterest boards to create a list of books for preschoolers that target /s/ blends.  Much to my surprise, I had several of the books that I needed on hand.  I only needed to order three of the seven books to complete my /s/ blend library. Here is the criteria that I used for my collection:
  • Short readings with no more than 2-3 sentences per page/picture
  • Repetition of early /s/ blend targets (i.e., stop, small)
  • Appropriate for children aged 4-6 years old
  • One book for each /s/ blend target
  • No more than two /s/ blend targets per book to meet cycles approach 
  • Seasonally appropriate books (I am a theme girl)
Now that I have my books on hand, I can use each in my session with my clients working on improving both listening and expression of /s/ blends.  Since the books are mine to keep, I wrote the /s/ blend target in permanent marker on the cover and I used a highlighter to mark the /s/ blend words in the books.  You can likely find any of these books at your local bookstore, library sales, or Amazon.  Maybe you have some already in your materials collection!!  I will close this post with a photo gallery of my Fall and Winter books.  Next Spring, I hope to compile my warmer weather collection.



























No comments:

Post a Comment