So Many Halloween Books..., So Little Time!

Happy October, Friends!!

Thought I would pop in with some literacy ideas for the remainder of this month.  It seems like every year, I start my Halloween theme a week earlier and I still cannot seem to get in all the books by the end of October!!  There are a few tried and true ones that I prioritize both in my home office sessions and in Teletherapy.  Hopefully, the ideas below offer some new material/activities to your collections!  Enjoy!!  

This post contains Amazon Associate links to make your shopping easy and efficient!




Comprehension Questions: 


Arts and Crafts:



Last year, I came up with an idea to give our own monsters haircuts in speech.  I printed an image of Frankenstein onto green paper and then glued long, vertical strips of green streamers the length of the face.  You can use this as a listening task by having clients trim a piece each time they hear a target sound or word.  Recently, I used this with my Teletherapy clients working on the concept: IN FRONT OF.  We talked about how the monster's hair was IN FRONT OF his chin, mouth, nose, eyes, and eyebrows, so we trimmed a little at a time to reveal these facial parts.  You could also work on future tense verbs by having clients express what they WILL cut next.





Articulation:


It seems that I always have someone working on the /ch/ sound and this book is perfect for a listening activity of /ch/ final.  Clients first listen to the story and then we create a foam witch craft for take home.  I scored a packet of six foam sets for a dollar at the Dollar Tree this year and paired it with this book.  Sometimes, I grab things as I see them at the store and later figure out how to blend materials into themes.  

Verb tenses:

I love this story for regular (searched) and irregular (flew, found, blew) past tense verbs.  Here is a fun link that I found for my online clients.  Whether you want to add this to your teletherapy, school, or private practice sessions, simply pause the video and ask clients what happened.  

A couple years ago, I purchased some props to act out this story with my moderate to severe population.  While I would not do this for every book that I own, I am happy to have these materials for one of my Halloween treasures!






Language:

The pictures in this story are perfectly positioned to work on the concept: NEXT TO.  I also use the story to talk about the regular past tense action: swallowed.  You can always focus on story re-tell and sequencing using pictures like the one that I purchased from Speech Room News.  Remember those witch foam crafts from the previous story?  Well, I found a packet of six bat ones too at the Dollar Tree and paired this craft with the old lady story.



Articulation:

Even my youngest clients enjoy these simple, old lady stories!  This past week, I targeted CVC words with an almost three year old to practice: bat, cat, ghost, bone, and hat.